If I could give you a little glimpse into my life, the first thing you’d probably notice is that I’m writing from a pretty messy desk. I have a bowl of leftover spaghetti (it’s a working lunch) that’s surrounded by tax papers, business books, and hard drives. There’s a bag of 1024798 pens beside me, a box of thank you notes, and three pair of shoes. And that’s okay. It’s not this way all the time, promise.
January went by in the blink of an eye. The highlight of the month was traveling back to Asheville for Shelby and Ian’s session downtown. The rest of the month was dedicated to rebranding, creating business and personal goals for this year, and simply resting.
While I’ve always had business goals, they’ve been incredibly generic. Such as, “I want to shoot x amount of weddings this year and travel for y of those.” Not wrong at all, but not helpful either.
This year, I want to focus on very specific goals.
- Inspire a sense of community with other (wedding/portrait) photographers. Make it a point to see other creatives, whether it’s for coffee or swapping headshots. Share successes and struggles. Be available, give high fives, and simply listen.
- Focus on intimate weddings a bit more. I love a good 6-8 hour wedding day, but these little 2-4 hour weddings have brought me so much joy recently. The couples are just as exciting and fun.
- Cultivate deeper relationships with my clients through more phone calls, skype calls, and good ol snail mail. I’m working on a fun little sweet treat that will be going on soon.
- Hike more! Like woah. I’ve heard there’s some amazing waterfalls and trails around Nashville. Let’s go explore more. And jump in lakes. That’s on the to do list.
- Finish my current book list: Purple Cow, The Four Loves, Buried Light, and You Are A Badass.
What are your plans for this month? Seriously. I’d like to hear them. Leave a comment, yo!